Welcome to my online portfolio. I am a versatile health and medical writer who has nearly 25 years of experience at some of the top institutions in the world. Currently I work as director of surgery communications at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center. Previously, I worked at Boston Children’s Hospital, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, the Informed Medical Decisions Foundation, Harvard Health Publications (the consumer health publishing division of Harvard Medical School), Massachusetts General Hospital, and Dana-Farber Cancer Institute. I love writing about medicine.
Depth of experience
I have written and edited a variety of print and online materials during my career, including:
Marketing and development communications
- annual reports
- campaign newsletters
- donor magazines
- marketing brochures
- fundraising letters
- newspaper supplements
- proposals for major gifts
- scientific reports
- videos and animated slideshows
Consumer health information
- patient decision aids
- health newsletters
- special health reports
- IRB review guidelines
- multimedia presentations
- Web copy
How I work
Although each project is unique, my editorial process remains consistent:
- I confer with my colleagues to determine both the target audience and goals of the project.
- I develop a working outline and invite input and comments before doing any writing.
- I work collaboratively with a medical expert–usually a physician or researcher–to communicate any health information. This may involve an interview before writing something, submitting draft copy for medical review, or both.
- I work with colleagues and freelancers to ensure that draft copy always receives a second (or third) pair of eyes before going into production. This usually involves copy editing, fact checking, and reviews by medical experts, patients, or both.
- I work collaboratively with designers, video producers, and other members of the production team to ensure that the final product supports the strategic vision.