Welcome to my online portfolio. I am a versatile health and medical writer who has nearly 25 years of experience at some of the top institutions in the world. Currently I work as associate director of major gifts communications at Boston Children’s Hospital. Previously, I worked at Brigham and Women’s Hospital, the Informed Medical Decisions Foundation, Harvard Health Publications (the consumer health publishing division of Harvard Medical School), Massachusetts General Hospital, and Dana-Farber Cancer Institute. I love writing about medicine.
Depth of experience
I have written and edited a variety of print and online materials during my career, including:
Marketing and development communications
- annual reports
- campaign newsletters
- donor magazines
- marketing brochures
- fundraising letters
- newspaper supplements
- proposals for major gifts
- scientific reports
- videos and animated slideshows
Consumer health information
- patient decision aids
- health newsletters
- special health reports
- IRB review guidelines
- multimedia presentations
- Web copy
How I work
Although each project is unique, my editorial process remains consistent:
- I confer with my colleagues to determine both the target audience and goals of the project.
- I develop a working outline and invite input and comments before doing any writing.
- I work collaboratively with a medical expert–usually a physician or researcher–to communicate any health information. This may involve an interview before writing something, submitting draft copy for medical review, or both.
- I work with colleagues and freelancers to ensure that draft copy always receives a second (or third) pair of eyes before going into production. This usually involves copy editing, fact checking, and reviews by medical experts, patients, or both.
- I work collaboratively with designers, video producers, and other members of the production team to ensure that the final product supports the strategic vision.